Saturday, November 20, 2010

FINALLY!!!

At long last, a show that was more than worth showing up for! Thanks are due to the Liberty High School Instrumental Music Boosters for a well-run show. Not only did I make my table fee a bit more than halfway thru the show, I actually made a bit MORE. O.O First time this year I've even made the fee, let alone surpassed it. :-)

Location for me was great, very very close to restrooms and to my car for easy setup and takedown. And even though halfway there I remembered that I had forgotten to pack my tables (!!!), a kind English teacher with a used book stand and a classroom just around the corner kindly lent me 4 desks from her classroom, which made one nice long table surface. We were right across from some south-facing windows, so it was nice and warm and bright in our spot as well, just right for the brightly-colors stuff hanging from every available surface. Used both clothing racks, one on each end this time, and started spreading out to the walls across from my stand - the bulletin board strips on the wall with the motivational posters were just right for hangers with tie-dye *grin* - and managed to hang two clotheslines along the wall behind me. This time the "100 square feet" wasn't 10x10' but 5' deep and 20' across, which was AWESOME! It also meant that my older DD could set up her very first craft table, of her own, within my space. She made bracelets from buttons and sold 7 out of 9 of them! Had I sold that percentage of my inventory, my packup would have taken 5 minutes, plus her profit margin is WAAAY higher than mine! She had a great time talking to customers, and was so proud of herself at the end of the day, plus she wasn't bored at all. Looks like I might have some company for my next gig - which at the moment looks to be the LHSIMB Spring Craft Show on March 26, 2011. Hoping for the same spot so we can soak up the rays once again. :-)

Decided to rename the hobby/business "Generations Dye Works" for craft shows. The whole "Tie Dye" thing seems to make people think that everything will scream "hippie!", and while plenty of my things do, there are lots of things that were dyed without tying at all, using a number of other techniques, that are nice enough to wear to the office (maybe for casual day, but still) or even out for the evening. For real. :-) I think "Dye Works" will be more general and hopefully still get the point across. Looks like I have a new sign to make. *smile*

Now that this is over, and last weekend's sinus infection has been vanquished, I have 3 special orders to finish up and send out, and 2 to get paid for, plus a car to unload. The custom orders will probably take less time than the car. LOL

No comments: