Monday, January 10, 2011

Weather or not....

Some random musings about yet another snowstorm that probably will leave us alone. Again.

I don't know how many more times we're gonna go thru the "impending storm of doom" scenario here in the DC area this year. Last year we got nailed pretty badly storm-wise, but this year every storm has managed to deal us a glancing blow at worst, assuming it shows up at all. Shopping for Winter clothes in, um, Winter has gotten to be nearly impossible. Went to Target a few days before Christmas
trying to get snow pants for the child who grew more than we thought she would and there were FOUR, count them, FOUR, pairs of snow pants in the place. FOUR. Had I needed to buy my kids swimsuits, though, I would have been in luck: FOUR RACKS of them in the girls' section alone. It wasn't even WINTER yet!!!

Needless to say, Target got rather a nasty letter from me, especially after we went to K-Mart and found rack upon rack of Winter wear for men, women, and children of all ages. Add to that some second-hand snow-wear donated by a friend with two older kids and we're set for a couple of years now, but why should I have to hunt down Winter clothing even before Winter? Also makes it hard to find clothing for dyeing when someone orders up a long-sleeved tee in mid-December - and there aren't any! :-( Sure, I can order one online, and probably for a bit less money, but if I want to get started today, that's a hassle and a delay I'd rather not deal with. Sometimes "today" is when I have the time.

So now we wait for the snow to start. Or not. Overnight tonight, perhaps. Or during the morning rush, if you believe another site. Or, as the meteorologists on the radio are predicting, early, mid, or late afternoon tomorrow. Nothing like a wide window of, well, whatever's in the window. :-)

No comments: