Friday, February 11, 2011

Climbing out of Winter

February 2nd has come and gone. Here in the DC area we had an incredible storm the night before that left us with 9" of heavy wet snow in the space of 5-6 hours. Trees and branches fell on power lines, transformers blew all over town, traffic was a nightmare. There was thundersnow, too, lightning and thunder WITH the snow that was so heavy we could barely see across the street in our well-lit neighborhood. Quite a show for Groundhog's Day, also known as Imbolc in older traditions. And no, Punxsutawny Phil did NOT see his shadow. that can only mean, on this date about 6 weeks before the Vernal Equinox, that we have 6 weeks of Winter left anyway.

Not much activity on the Zibbet shop, but that' because we've been juggling a nasty G-I thing that has laid us low, one by one. Hubby seemed to have held out, but today it's his turn, poor guy. Good thing I'm now running on all cylinders again. And I've been dyeing stuff like a crazy person the last few days.

Some scrubs for a custom order, for example. Ordered the scrubs from Sassyscrubs, which makes some really high-quality stuff - I first heard of them when a nurse friend of mine asked me to dye some flannel scrubs for her; she ordered them there and had them ship to me, and I was really impressed with the durability of the fabric and the construction. Sorry, Dharma Trading, I'm glad you have scrubs tops but by comparison they are LAME. :-\ Customer left a lot of the decision-making up to me color-wise and pattern-wise, the only guidance being "earth tones" and "not a fan of orange," so I decided to order up two tops, dye them slightly differently, and let the customer choose. The color wasn't as deep as I might have liked, which may be a function of any stain-resistance that's built into the scrubs fabric, but they're still pretty striking in their own way, so I'm pleased.

Also had a men's polo that needed some love to cover up a few minor scuff marks, so I gave it as manly a tie-dye job as I could muster, which was easy to do with all the browns I'd already mixed for the scrubs tops.

I've got more to do, more to take pictures of - gosh, it's been so long since I uploaded to my computer I found photos and videos of LAST year's DC Snowmageddon when I loaded these pics from my camera, so I have to get back in practice and stock up my shop! Hoping this will give me some momentum to be moving on with.

No comments: